Inconsiderate Drivers
  • As a newbie to all this I am picking a subject that may be a bit controversial.

I have copied and pasted the Highway code:  Rule 139 below:

139. Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
    use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area and then start to move out
    • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
    • take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
    • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
    • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
    • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
    • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would a car when overtaking (see Rules 188, 189 and 191.

So I ask why do drivers and buses barge down The Avenue?  Does this bug anyone else or is it just me?
  • Bus drivers are often a law unto themselves and it's hard to argue when what they're driving is ten times the size of what you're driving!
  • Maybe the buses are trying to get to the Co-op stop before some %*$!&! of a driver parks there to use the ATM. That one never fails to get me ...
  • Most of the times its OK down The Avenue. If you followed the Highway code to the letter you'd never get into Wivenhoe.

You need to be a little pushy, but also considerate at times.

As I said small stretches of double yellows would create some passing places without losing hardly any parking.

Or we could bulldoze some house and put a nice dual carriageway there (can we have a tunnel from Wivenhoe to the A12 please).

But back to reality.. On the A120 there is a junction that leads to nowhere that was originally supposed to link to the A133 by Elmstead Market but that road was never built around 1982.  They need to build it now to stop the through traffic in Colchester.
  • Thank goodness it's not just me that gets bugged.

As my number plate is very recognisable I keep my hands to myself and smile!

I always refuse to 'curb' my sports car though as I've already had to pay to get my wheels re-aligned from a bus driver making me go up the curb on Station Road.

I just wish people would be patient.

Thankfully I only do about 1500 miles a year, having Dexter ( my dog) I walk mostly.
  • "But back to reality.. On the A120 there is a junction that leads to nowhere that was originally supposed to link to the A133 by Elmstead Market but that road was never built around 1982.  They need to build it now to stop the through traffic in Colchester."

I hadn't heard of this, so had a quick butcher's at googlemaps, and whaddayaknow?  A slip road (minus the road) and a complete bridge that goes nowhere.  If you're interested you can see it just northeast of Elmstead Market on googlemaps.
  • I reckon a road of 1 mile is needed to save Colchester of a lot of traffic.

I bet that NIMBY's in Elmstead Market stopped it!

Looking at the borehole records you can see the planned road left the A133 dual carriageway before going over the top of Elmstead,image

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/maplo.jpg/
  • Thanks Mottza for that information,it's really interesting finding out little gems like that.
  • There was plans to build a toll bridge from Wivenhoe to Rowhedge sometime in the early 20th century. I think it failed as there wasn't enough money.
  • just found there was a bridge that opened in 1917...

www.movablebridges.org.uk/BridgePage.asp?BridgeNumber=1062
  • Mottza,
    I love seeing these old photos. Anymore links with anything interesting I'd love to have a look.

Maybe we need to create a new post? As we have deviated from The Avenue drivers!
  • Nah - straying is all good :)
  • Talking of The Avenue ( and straying ), does anyone know if when Mrs Palmers house is going to be demolished to make way for 10 new houses on her lovely big plot of land?

I wonder if that's going to incorporate a bigger entrance/ exit to the properties.
  • The last update I heard is that the planning application has been submitted, but not yet been agreed upon. It proposes to build one 3-bedroom, three 4-bedroom and four 5-bedroom houses. I understand that the entrance to the land will remain the same, thus hiding away the new development behind the considerable garden.

The Wivenhoe Society view is:

"Your average developer would have applied for – and probably got – permission to build a far greater number of homes on the site, but this plan is very sensitive to the site and minimises the loss of trees."
  • I had the privilege of attending prize giving last year for hanging baskets in the gardens.

It is a lovely large garden and the trees are spectacular.

I'm looking forward to seeing what gets built on the site.
  • Planning consent for Mrs Palmer's house was granted in March. It is conditional on a number of points mainly concerning the preservation of existing trees and vehicle access during construction. 

By the way if you want to get an overall map of planning applications in Wivenhoe go here
    You can move from the centre of the Colchester to Wivenhoe where applications are highlighted on the map.It is possible to turn applications on or off by year. Move your cursor over any application on the map and it will give you a summary. plus you can drill through to the detailed documents.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wivenhoe Diary
Many thanks to Wivenhoe News for helping to source these dates
1 - 30 April, James Dodds exhibiting at Over the Sofa Gallery, Wivenhoe Bookshop
11 April - 10 May, Jarman's Dungeness, an exhibition by Andy Brooke celebrating Jarman's vision 20 years on, Wivenhoe Library
11 April, Wivenhoe Watching Wildlife Springwatch, Sailing Club, 7:30 - 10pm
12 April, WTFC Vs Thetford Town, Broad Lane, 3pm
12 April, Wivenhoe Ferry Fundraiser, the Sailing Club, 7:30pm - late. Live music from Strings Attached, DJ and curry meal. Tickets £12 from the Bookshop.
13 April, WivGigs, Come and Try day
15 April, Moving Image, Enough Said, William Loveless Hall, 7:30pm
17 and 18 May, Wivenhoe Open Gardens, various locations around the town
17 - 20 April, Beer Festival at the Black Buoy pub; 20 plus guest beers and ciders, food, live music.
19 April, Farmer's Market, Congregational Hall, 9:30 - 12:30pm
19 April, Easter Workshop for children, age 5 - 12, St Mary’s, 2pm - 3:30pm
21 April, WTFC Vs Stanway Rovers, Broad Lane, 3pm
23 April, Italian Literature, start of a five week course with Giovanni Colacicchi, Wivenhoe Bookshop, 2:30 - 4:30pm
23 April, Wivenhoe Film Club, Bicycle Thieves, The Nottage, 7:30pm
24 April, poetrywivenhoe, Allison McVety, The Legion, 8pm
24 April, Funny Farm Comedy Club, Andrew O'Neill, Cricket Club, 8pm
25 April - start of Wild About Wivenhoe month. Various events centred around the Wildlife Garden. Full details to be published... when known!
25 April, Transition Town Wivenhoe Spring Event, open-air bicycle-powered cinema, bar, evening food, all at the Wildlife Garden
26 April, Watching Wivenhoe Wildlife Dawn Chorus Walk, meet at 5am in the train station car park
26 April, Transition Town Wivenhoe Spring Event, Art and Photography Exhibition themed around the Wildlife Garden, William Loveless Hall
26 April, Bird Walk with Richard Allen, Sailing Club, 10am
29 April, Moving Image, All is Lost, William Loveless Hall, 7:30pm
2nd May, Wivenhoe Society Talk, Richard Moulson, CBC Ranger: 'History and Management of Colne Nature Reserve, Wivenhoe Woods and Ferry Marsh, The Nottage, 7:30pm
3 May, WTFC Vs Diss, Broad Lane, 3pm
9 May, Watching Wivenhoe Wildlife, presentations about wildlife in gardens, and gardening for wildlife in Wivenhoe Library, presented by John Rowland, Glyn Evans & Chris Gibson
13 May, Moving Image, Nebraska, William Loveless Hall, 7:30pm
14 May, Wivenhoe Town Council Annual Meeting, William Loveless Hall, 7:30pm, all welcome.
16 May, Shipyard Studios, Inside Out, Keel House, 5 Walter Radcliffe Road, 3pm - 8pm www.shipyardstudios.co.uk
17 - 26 May, Shipyard Studios, Inside Out, Keel House, 5 Walter Radcliffe Road, 10am - 5pm www.shipyardstudios.co.uk
17 May, Watching Wivenhoe Wildlife, Moth Trapping and Bat Watching, Wildlife Garden
18 May, Watching Wivenhoe Wildlife, Moth Trapping - the reveal!
20 May, Moving Image, Saving Mr Banks, William Loveless Hall, 7:30pm
15 June, Watching Wivenhoe Wildlife, Wildflower Walk in the gravel pits behind the cricket club, 11am
29 June, Jazz on the Quay, 1pm