Tuesday's Hustings at Broomgrove Infants School - reminder

This is just a reminder that an  ASK THE CANDIDATES HUSTINGS EVENT is taking place in Wivenhoe on:

Tuesday 6th June 7pm - 8:30pm 

at

Broomgrove Infants School Hall, Wivenhoe CO7 9QB

FREE EVENT - OPEN TO ALL HARWICH & NORTH ESSEX CONSTITUENTS

An opportunity to put questions to the Harwich and North Essex candidates who are competing for your vote in the upcoming general election.

Light refreshments available

For further information or to put a question to the candidates please email your question to: wivenhoehustings@outlook.com questions will also be taken on the night.

All ages welcome

This event is being organised by parents from Broomgrove Schools and is not affiliated to any party.

Follow this event on Facebook: Wivenhoe Parent Group.

Comments

• Blake Roberts (Green Party), Rosalind Scott (Labour Party), Dominic Graham (Liberal Democrats) and Steven Todd (Christian Alliance Party) have all confirmed that they will be attending.  Bernard Jenkin has confirmed that he is unable to attend, unfortunately we do not anticipate a representative from the Conservative Party attending on Bernards behalf.  Aaron Hammond (UKIP) has also sent his apologies.
  • Bernard is simply following his leader's example: ignore the electorate, and enough will still re-elect you!   What a mess we're in...  :(
  • We are disappointed.  This event is being held to help people make an informed choice on election day and logically being held in advance of the election. This morning Bernard contacted me to say
    "I again express my regret that i cannot join you for your meeting this evening, but stress absolutely that I will arrange to visit Broomgrove sometime very soon after the election. I am afraid i have not been able to find someone else to speak at your meeting, as everyone is so busy with the general election."

• Ahem. I think Bernard meant "if I am elected then I will arrange to visit Broomgrove sometime very soon after the election." Unless he has a sense of entitlement by dint of being in a safe seat...

• No such thing as a safe seat....

• With regard to the promised visit to Broomgrove School, received the following from Bernard's Office this afternoon:

"I can confirm we will be asking the school to allow Bernard to visit in the coming months.  I cannot confirm quite yet what the date is, as requirements to be in parliament are slowing down constituency diary arrangements, but as soon as we do have the date I will let you know."
  • Now the heat is off...?  ;)
  • edited June 27
    Thanks Jellyhead, this is quite timely, I was going to ask the community if they wanted me to call Bernard on his pre-election promise. If there is interest I will set something up.
  • "Requirements to be in parliament..."  How punctilious of him.  Here's a link to voting record & attendance for votes:
    http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=Bernard_Jenkin&mpc=North+Essex

• Interesting reading, Gloria. It looks as if Bernard is present to vote in Parliament even less often than he appears in Wivenhoe: something I thought impossible!
  • I'd like to know how he actually spends his working hours, given we are paying him......

doesn't look like he does much of anything anywhere.
  • kstkst
    edited June 28
    Gloria said:
    "Requirements to be in parliament..."  How punctilious of him.  Here's a link to voting record & attendance for votes:

Not a bad record at all for an MP

Since May 2010 over 80% attendance

Whats the betting that a lot of our CBC and ECC councilors achieve less.
  • maltm said:
    Thanks Jellyhead, this is quite timely, I was going to ask the community if they wanted me to call Bernard on his pre-election promise. If there is interest I will set something up.
    Given the level of local concern regarding the proposed Garden Community Megacity would now not be a good time to make that call?
  • kst said:
    Gloria said:
    "Requirements to be in parliament..."  How punctilious of him.  Here's a link to voting record & attendance for votes:

He's been on the radio quite alot recently also. Wouldn't be anything to do with his desire to take us over the Brexit cliff would it?
  • mossie said:
    kst said:
    Gloria said:

He's been on the radio quite alot recently also. Wouldn't be anything to do with his desire to take us over the Brexit cliff would it?
    Hope so.
  • I grilled Bernard about the megacity at the civic service recently and again at the remembrance service this weekend. He promised to be supportive in the call for no development south of the A133, via a letter, (I have yet to draft for him and send).

A public meeting is a brilliant idea though. But I don't think it should be limited to Bernard. As bizarrely as an MP he has no control whatsoever over ECC TDC or CBC. Although clearly he has plenty of influence in all sorts of areas. My suggestion would be to invite the leader of ECC, TDC and CBC, (and the other protagonist I think Braintree), as well as senior cllrs and planning officers too.

However be prepared to be disappointed because of that list, I think BJ is the most likely to accept the invite.

I can probably get a venue if someone else wants to organize it?

• andrea said:

I grilled Bernard about the megacity at the civic service recently and again at the remembrance service this weekend. He promised to be supportive in the call for no development south of the A133, via a letter, (I have yet to draft for him and send).

A public meeting is a brilliant idea though. But I don't think it should be limited to Bernard. As bizarrely as an MP he has no control whatsoever over ECC TDC or CBC. Although clearly he has plenty of influence in all sorts of areas. My suggestion would be to invite the leader of ECC, TDC and CBC, (and the other protagonist I think Braintree), as well as senior cllrs and planning officers too.

However be prepared to be disappointed because of that list, I think BJ is the most likely to accept the invite.

I can probably get a venue if someone else wants to organize it?

Have e-mailed Bernard's office, will keep you posted.

• Let's get our duly elected councillors to explain how we all need this. M
  • MForth said:
    Let's get our duly elected councillors to explain how we all need this.
    Like a hole in the head?