Rose and Crown

I am looking for a fairly local pub to take some visitors to eat and drink. I think the Rose and Crown would be an ideal location but I'm a bit concerned about the quality of food and hygiene. I understand that during the summer it was pretty diabolical and wonder if anyone can tell me wether it has got any better. 
Should I risk it or not ?

Comments

• To be fair to the Rose and Crown, I've never heard of or seen any hygiene issues there. The menu is pretty standard, not to everyone's taste, but pretty extensive.

• Just poor quality chain food in my opinion. Greyhound or the Buoy are much better bets.
  • If you are going for lunch, look no further than the Horse and Groom

• In terms of value for money, I wholeheartedly concur with the above.
  • Yes, Dosh's cooking is excellent along with the curry night. Food only during the day however.

• In no particular order as they all have something to offer:

Black Buoy

Greyhound

Horse and Groom

• Best pub food in Wivenhoe is easily Horse & Groom (portion size; quality; cost), while Black Buoy is also very good, but significantly more expensive.  More modestly, the Flag is currently serving decent quality food at modest prices.

I wouldn't want to eat at the Rose & Crown, as the quality of the food is poor. Haven't eaten in the Greyhound for ages...

• edited November 9
    Lets not forget The Station, I haven't eaten there in a while, but seem to remember that they sell crisps and assorted bar snacks.  :|
  • The Station is a lovely & friendly pub, but I don't recall much in the way of 'bar snacks'.
    Anyone help out here?

• Black Buoy gets our vote every time
  • Horse & Groom every time.

• kstkst
    edited November 9
    Horse & Groom every time.

Yes, but unfortunately, lunchtime only till 1400 hrs 

Terrific value and quality though.5****

• edited November 9
    In addition to the Rose and Crown serving horrible food and having a cacophony of music and the TV on at the same time, the landlady also xxxxxxxxxxx

[Part of this post was removed by moderator. If you want to libel someone please do it somewhere else]
  • The bottom line is, the last time I went there, which admittedly was a fair while ago, the food and Beer were needlessly mediocre.
  • Thank you for all of the comments. I think I shall give the Rose and Crown a wide berth and sample the cosy atmosphere and food and drink of the Black Buoy.

• Horse & Groom may not serve food later in the day, but they also do breakfast from 10.30...!
  • puffin said:
    Horse & Groom may not serve food later in the day, but they also do breakfast from 10.30...!

And what a breakfast it is too.
  • puffin said:
    Horse & Groom may not serve food later in the day, but they also do breakfast from 10.30...!

And what a breakfast it is too.
    The best !
  • The Greyhound is a good  alternative. Recently taken over by the chef..
  • edited November 10
    puffin said:

Is that all week @puffin? I was thinking how lovely that might be on a Saturday morning
  • Yep, though I know they don't serve meals on Mondays.  I'm sure others can confirm...?
  • Savvy said:
    puffin said:

Is that all week @puffin? I was thinking how lovely that might be on 8a Saturday morning
    We have a 'breakfast club' one Saturday a month at the Horse and can vouch for the delicious full English brekkies Dosh cooks. If you ever fancy joining our random group drop me a message. Hazel
  • Horse & Groom serve food Monday to Saturday 10:30 - 1400, and 1st Tuesday evening in the month curry night  
  • They serve food on Mondays too: wow!   :)
  • puffin said:
    They serve food on Mondays too: wow!   :
    Mondays special is normally Fish and the normal menu options.  

• greenback said:
    The Greyhound is a good  alternative. Recently taken over by the chef..
    Agreed but they don't serve food on a Monday or Tuesday Now