This is an archive of the Wivenhoe Forum hyperlocal community messageboard. It ran from 2010-2020.

This archive will be permanently deleted on 31st December 2021.

Posting is disabled.

Community Support for Corona Virus

Hi all, I thought it would be an idea to set up a thread here where people can ask for help or support during this time? I’m self-isolating at home as I have lower lung damage and my sons father is immune suppressed. Though I’m at home I’m happy to chat to people by phone or online who are also isolated, order things on line and co-ordinate help. Maybe those who are well and recover can offer some help to those who may need supplies as we may be in for the long haul. I would strongly urge anyone who is ‘vulnerable’ eg either over 60 or younger with underlying health (respiratory issues, cancer, heart disease, diabetes) begin self-isolating you do not want to be needing a hospital bed during the peak phase of this outbreak when the NHS will be stretched. I’m not trying to cause any untoward panic, but it is possible to take steps now to look after yourself and I feel comforted to know that I’m in Wivenhoe at this time - the best community on the planet! 🥰

Comments

• Great article/simulation on why social distancing is important! https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• There’s been a lot of discussion on social media about this over the last day or so and over 90 Wivenhovians have already volunteered to help others who may be self-isolating and/or alone (such a wonderful response).

I understand that a planning meeting is taking place today so I imagine that there’ll be an update from someone soon.

Here’s the Facebook link for those who have access:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2211138066?tsid=0.9794633401437169&source=result

• Stargazer/GKS - we will be making decisions on a system to help any elderly /and or vulnerable resident after the planning meeting today , and following this meeting we will be asking for details of anyone who needs help - in terms of food, household, medication supplies, a phone buddy, etc and coordinating volunteers to meet these needs. This initiative will be publicised via the many existing community - facing groups, the churches, fliers and posters, and on social media (e.g. Wivenhoe Notice Board and this Forum), from tomorrow morning.

• Amazing! Great work!! Pleased to be a part of it and good to have this link to it on this forum for those who may not know about it yet. But that might just be me out of the loop! 🤣

• GKS- it is only over the past few days, with the increase of numbers infected , that this initiative has been firmed up, when we realised that we needed a planning meeting ASAP. We will employing some of established storage systems of Wivenhoe Food Bank and communication and appeal channels for Reaching Out at Christmas, though not exclusively so, because we want to be available for ANYONE who needs our help, and we expect it to be a much more complex initiative, likely to extend for a few months.

• I have a general question, though it could relate to Wivenhoe further down the line: if, as announced last Thursday, no testing is being done except on hospitalised patients, how do any of the rest of us know if we have had the virus or not, since a lot of people will have a very mild version of it?

It means that there may be a lot of people out there in the community who have in fact already had the virus but recovered and do not know. Therefore, they may be continuing unnecessarily to self-isolate, work from home, etc. when in fact, they could be out and about helping others. (Of course, it also means that WHO work in tracking and tracing this virus is hindered by the UK Govt's policy.)

• The Wivenhoe Women’s Group has nearly 100 members who can communicate together by email, either as a group or individually. If you wish to join then please send me a private message with your email address. It is a free friendship group that has been meeting for coffee/walks/drinks/meals etc for the last 4 years. Currently there are less get-togethers but it still provides support via email, phones and Facebook.

• Daisy, many thanks, I intended to e-mail after the meeting today.

• Hi Clara, I completely agree with all your points and think it’s a travesty we aren’t testing. I imagine it’s because the Government doesn’t want to know or share the real scale of the problem. Ultimately though I think they will have to.. just a matter of time before criticism from the Uk and outside and WHO makes them. However a word of caution is that we have NO clarity about whether you are immune to this disease after having symptoms once. There have been cases in China where some people have caught it twice and it’s just too early to know if this is the norm. So isolation and social distancing is still necessary till we know about this conclusively.. I’m sure this isn’t very helpful!

• Re Coronavirus testing, the Chief Medical Officer said the other day that there is only sufficient capacity in the whole of the NHS to test just 2,000 people a day I think it was. So nothing to do with sharing the scale of the problem. It is just not a practicable proposition I suggest. It also means of course that if you have it, especially if only mildly, you will never know for sure as you shouldn't go to the doctors and spread it around but follow official advice and self-isolate.

• I live in Chaney Road. I do not drive but happy to drop off shopping etc by foot xxxx

• Hi Cara, this is great! The best place to join now to help is this facebook group as they are collecting people to volunteer/work out who needs help.

Thanks Gurpreet

• edited March 2020

WIVENHOE MUTUAL AID.

A group of local residents today (Sunday) held a planning meeting of newly-formed Wivenhoe Mutual Aid, which has been set up in response to the accelerating pace of Covid 19  within the UK population.

Our aim is to provide support anyone in Wivenhoe who becomes unable to access supplies of food, toiletries and medication for themselves through self-isolation; this includes anyone from the  elderly and/ or vulnerable, to whole families. Precise mechanisms are still being worked through but we want to assure anyone in need of such practical help, that it will be provided by Wivenhoe Mutual Aid. We are also setting up a system of phone buddies to help those people cope with long periods of isolation.

For the moment, we are setting up lists of Wivenhoe volunteers who would like to help with clients' shopping, delivering leaflets or to be phone buddies. These will include those who expressed an interest in Stephen Matthews Noticeboard post yesterday; Stephen is logistic manager and is working on publicising Wivenhoe Mutual Aid via the printing ad distribution of information leaflets to all Wivenhoe residents.

We need details of your name, address, phone number and an indication of whether you would like to deliver shopping, do phone outreach work (phone buddies) walk dogs or have no preference

Please contact Glynis on 07904397605 (voicemail) or 01206 657685, or e-mail: [email protected]

MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED SO MAGNIFICENTLYTHUS FAR, WE ARE NOW COLLATING DETAILS OF VOLUNTEERS AND SORTING ADDRESSES INTO GEOGRAPHICAL AREA; WE WILL BE CONTACTING YOU IN DUE COURSE. MEANWHILE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW (BY TELEPHONE/PM) IF YOU BECOME AWARE OF ANY SELF-ISOLATED/ QUARANTINED WIVENHOE RESIDENT WHO MIGHT NEED PRACTICAL HELP OR A PHONE BUDDY.

GDPR: We will record and store personal data securely and will use it only to communicate  with you on matters relating to Wivenhoe Mutual Aid. A volunteer may contact you to assist you to. We will not pass data to other third parties unless we have your express consent or are legally required to do so.

• edited March 2020

• edited March 2020

WIVENHOE MUTUAL AID - UPDATE I .

PLEASE NOTE NEW WMA MOBILE NUMBER BELOW

OBJECTIVES. Our aim is to provide support anyone in Wivenhoe who becomes unable to access supplies of food, toiletries and medication for themselves through self-isolation or quarantine; this includes anyone from the  elderly and/ or vulnerable, to whole families. Precise mechanisms are still being worked through but we want to assure anyone in need of such practical help, that it will be provided by Wivenhoe Mutual Aid. We are also setting up a system of phone buddies to help those people cope with long periods of isolation. An additional need that has become apparent is for WMA to be an assuring liaison between family relatives o can no longer travel from outside Wivenhoe to visits elderly residents.

PROGRESS SO FAR. We are setting up a database of volunteers and their preferences, which will be subdivided into geographical areas of Wivenhoe to expedite response to clients . As well as working with contacts in established Wivenhoe, including the Churches, the GP Surgery and the British Legion  and posting these social media notices, by the end of this week we are planning to distribute fliers to every house in Wivenhoe, because as we know, this virus is likely to affect not only the old and vulnerable, but whole families. The leaflets will set out the services we offer, and the contact numbers as below; all those who ask for any help will be entered on to our clients' database. 

VOLUNTEERS We still welcome volunteers to help with delivering leaflets, shopping, or medication, to be phone buddies. We are looking for more dog walkers, particularly in Upper Wivenhoe. Many thanks to all of you wonderful  people who have already come forward, we are really buoyed up by your fantastic support; please bear with admin in replying to you, all of your offers will be acknowledged and responded to in due course, but we do need the following information at the outset: 

PLEASE NOTE, WE NEED FULL DETAILS OF  NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER and an indication of whether you would like to deliver leaflets, deliver  clients’ shopping or medication, do dog walking, to be phone buddies, or have no preference.

Please PHONE OR TEXT Glynis  on the NEW WMA NUMBER 07394910486, PHONE 01206 657685, or e-mail: [email protected] 

GDPR: We will record and store personal data securely and will use it only to communicate  with you on matters relating to Wivenhoe Mutual Aid. A volunteer may contact you to assist you to. We will not pass data to other third parties unless we have your express consent or are legally required to do so.

• We don't all use Facebook

• That's why I copy it on here. We are also using other channels of communication and publicity.

• Thank you

• This is a great group support for people like yourself, but some people are self isolating to basically get off work, last Feb 30,000 people died of flu symptoms, this panic and scare situations is going to bring the uk to its knees I've already seen the selfishness people of wivenhoe in coop and when all them bankers loose there jobs wivenhoe and its pubs alike will struggle to ever recover

• Oh @rossi, I have reviewed your comments since you joined in 2014 and my wish for you is that you could, just this once, take a little joy in what your community is offering.

There will always be people who make you feel bad but there are many, like in this initiative, that should make you feel good about being part of this community. And they'd be there for you too if you'd ever need them.

• Well said Marika.

Thank you.

• Is there a fit younger person that is able and willing to do a one off big shop at the co op. I would rather keep my shopping local than go on line.

I wish to pay £20 for this service.

• Hi Diane if you see above (and copied below) they are setting up a volunteer service. If you contact them they can organise this for you. No payment needed though if you wanted to donate I’m sure they could put the money towards the food bank?

Please PHONE OR TEXT Glynis on the NEW WMA NUMBER 07394910486, PHONE 01206 657685, or e-mail: [email protected]

• Have just had a chat with Glynis, congratulations for a great initiative. Have just seen what Brightlingsea council has put out, what, if anything is Wivenhoe council doing to help the community in these difficult times

• That's great!

Could you share it here with us? Then someone can show to Wivenhoe I'm sure and give them a nudge?

• You can find it via spotted Brightlingsea

• WTC are supporting WMA.

http://www.wivenhoe.gov.uk/_CoreContent/News/NewsDisplay.aspx?sId=174&pId=3650&Id=10516

We are closing the office, not opening the museum, closing the William Loveless Hall and will either limit or close the playparks to reduce social gathering. This is the opposite of what we have always tried to do but it is necessary. We will be reducing the public toilets to weekdays only but this will be under review as we have a duty to ensure they remain hygienic and this relies on our superb staff. If there is more we can do we will do it within the confines set and continually assessed by Govt.

Look out for one another, keep an eye on elderly neighbours and keep well.

• Hi Asa, is it possible to get more recycling bags sent round the town? We haven’t been given any for a while and now I’m in isolation I know I’ll need some! Thanks Gurpreet

• Hello Gurpreet

We know that recycling bags, food waste bags and caddy's etc are an issue. Recycling bags are currently available in the foyer of the Town Council offices but we may be forced to close the office completely. When or if we do this we will do our best to find a way to distribute them.

Volunteers have been out today delivering leaflets with details of Wivenhoe Mutual Aid.

The contact details are: Please PHONE OR TEXT Glynis on the NEW WMA NUMBER 07394910486, PHONE 01206 657685, or e-mail: He[email protected]